Tuesday, July 10, 2012

pasta, broccoli, and garlic-red pepper sauce

Yes, I have been horribly MIA, but enough with the excuses. As of this past week, I have a 2 month paid internship doing market research, which I am very excited about. As a result of that and working my other part time jobs and have more friends and therefore fun, I am really busy but also increasingly happier here. Thus I signed my lease to stay in ATX another year! Eep!

Today I got up to go take a stand up paddle board yoga class (mouthful), but it was already full when I got to the gym. So I did a spinning class, rented a stand up paddle board and paddled around the quarry for a while, swam a bit, went grocery shopping for some snacks, made a quick lunch (and by lunch I mean my favorite uncooked meal, pictured below - at least I'm getting my 5 daily colors in!), and then took off to Zilker to play sand volleyball for a few hours. It was a great day, but by 6 pm when I got home, I was pooped and thrilled to shower and relax.

I was going back through all the SK recipes I've missed over the past few months, and decided to give this one a try for dinner. I only had frozen broccoli on hand, but I figured I could make it work enough for my standards. It ended up being good - I'm not huge on spicy, but I think my estimations were perfect for my heat level and still being flavorful - and filling, so I was happy. Then I got all sorts of ambitious and dedicated the next four hours to making tartlets, but more on that separately.


1 pound pasta [I used a single person serving of what looked good to my hungry eyes of penne]
1 pound broccoli rabe, heavy stems removed, remaining stems and leaves cut into 1- to 2-inch sections [I used handfuls of frozen broccoli - and put them in still frozen at the same time as she calls for the rabe]
1/2 cup olive oil [I used about 1/4 cup for one serving]
5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced or pressed [I used 2 cloves]
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more or less to taste [I used about that much of a mix of red pepper flakes, chimichurri mix, and bruschetta mix]
About 1 heaping teaspoon Kosher salt (or more to taste)

To serve: Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese [I used white cheddar because that's all I have!]

Bring a huge pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and five minutes before its cooking time is up, add the broccoli rabe. It will seem like too much for the water, but with a stir or two, the rabe should wilt and cook alongside the pasta. Drain rabe and pasta together and pour into serving bowl.

In the same pot or a tiny one, heat the olive oil with the garlic, pepper flakes and Kosher salt over moderate heat, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the garlic becomes lightly golden. Pour mixture over pasta and toss to evenly coat. Shower with freshly grated cheese and eat at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment