Wednesday, April 20, 2011

lemon cookies

I had a hankering for lemon cookies, I wanted to bake something for my advisory group tomorrow, and the advisors of the Ecology club (my roommate and a neighboring teacher) needed cookies for the Earth Day Celebration tomorrow, and so after finishing my grading tonight, I had no reason not to bake. I found a recipe for lemon cookies that looked manageable, hunted down another cookie sheet as ours were housing chocolate covered strawberries (also for Earth Day bake sale) in the fridge, and set off to bake for the first time in weeks.





1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a standing mixer on medium speed, add butter and sugar, and cream until well blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add eggs, one at a time, until blended. Add lemon juice and zest, mixing until blended.

Add salt, baking powder and flour and mix until blended.

Drop by rounded scoopfuls onto prepared baking sheets and bake until edges are firm with no color, 12 to 15 minutes.

Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.

I used a 1/2 tbsp measuring spoon to scoop mine and made 44 cookies. After the first batch, which were very textured and didn't spread at all, I started pressing them down with my palms after scooping them on to the sheet so that the finished cookies were round and flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment