Thursday, April 28, 2011

orange oat scones

I found this recipe for orange oat scones on 101 Cookbooks the other day, but I didn't get around to having all the ingredients and time to make them until last night. I decided to do yoga at like 5:30 pm and felt so good afterwards that I wanted to bake. These scones have a nice fresh smell and taste to them. I think I prefer the spice scone recipe I have made a few times because it has a stronger flavor, and as much as I like using oats, I think they might be part of the reason that I didn't love the texture of these scones. Then again, it could be that between conversions and eyeing my butter measurement, I am pretty sure that I put too much butter in. They were good, though, and they kept well for us to enjoy the next day.





*I made half the recipe and got 6 very large scones

3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup turbinado sugar [I just used light brown sugar, but it isn't the same texture as brown sugar in the states, it is the same kind of crystals as regular sugar here]
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups rolled oats
zest of 1 orange
1 cup buttermilk [I just mixed milk with some vinegar - 1 tbsp for 1 cup milk]
1/4 cup coarse turbinado or Demerara sugar, for sprinkling [same light brown sugar as above]
2/3 cup dried currants

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, 1/2 cup of turbinado sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse 15-20 times or until it looks like sandy pearls. (If you are working by hand, cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter.) Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir in the oats and zest. Stir in the buttermilk and currants until just moistened.

Bring the dough together with your hands. If the dough is still too crumbly, stir in more buttermilk a tiny splash at a time, but try to avoid over mixing. After bringing the dough together, gently pat it into an 8-inch round. Cut into triangle shapes (see photo) and transfer to the prepared baking sheet with some room between each scone. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the bottoms are deeply golden. [I left mine in for 20 minutes and they were just starting to get golden; they probably could have used more time, but I got antsy.]

No comments:

Post a Comment