Monday, October 3, 2011

parmesean chicken couscous

I didn't use a recipe for this! Yes, it isn't complicated, but I still have been pretty reliant on recipes and hesitant to shy away from it. I have made a lemon chicken recipe a couple times lately, so I guess I was feeling like I had a sense of what to do and then was ready to mix it up a little. I saw that I had one chicken breast left over in the fridge, a few basic ingredients, and midway through cooking I remembered that I wouldn't want chicken alone, and so I decided that couscous was a good save since pasta would take too long.




1 chicken breast
1/2 lemon juice
1/4 cup white wine
1 pat butter
1 tbsp half and half
1/3 cup dry couscous
1-2 tbsp grated parmesean

I put the butter and squeezed the lemon juice into the pan to heat up. Once it was melted, I mixed it up, and then I put my chicken breast in. I poured in about a 1/4-1/2 cup of wine and about a tbsp of half and half. I swished it around the pan to mix it up and coat the chicken in it. I waited until the chicken was cooked pretty well on one side before flipping it, probably about 4-5 minutes. Then I flipped it over and mixed it around with the sauce, which was starting to cook off a bit but there was enough under the chicken to keep it from burning.

While the chicken was cooking, I put some water on to boil in my electric water heater (I don't have a coffee maker or microwave, which drives my mother crazy, even though she doesn't live here, so she insisted that I at least have this). Once the water was boiling, I mixed 1/2 cup of water with 1/3 cup of couscous and some salt. I covered the couscous and let it sit for about 5 minutes before fluffing it.

Once the chicken and couscous were done, I put the couscous in a bowl, sliced the chicken on top, poured in any of the remaining sauce from the pan, and grated some parmesean on top. I mixed it all together, and I was a very happy camper with my lunch.

Nutritional information (for 1 cup couscous and 1 chicken breast):
513 calories
11g total fat
49g carbs
44g protein
*note: I wasn't exactly sure how big my chicken breast was, so I used an entry for 3.5 oz

No comments:

Post a Comment