Monday, June 13, 2011

tomato soup and leek toast

My time is Bulgaria is dwindling, and I am starting to evaluate what I have laying around my house that won't go home with me. While I generally shop once a week and only buy food for the meal that I will cook on Monday plus whatever baking I want to do plus lunches, I occasionally accumulate items in my two-shelf pantry. I noticed that I had several cans of chopped or whole tomatoes, which I bought because last year Eryn and I made homemade tomato sauce for pasta or homemade pizza usually once a week, so I figured I would use it more often.

At any rate, I decided that I better make a conscious effort to use up some canned tomatoes or else leave them here (which wouldn't be all that tragic). At first, I was just going to make tomato sauce, but then I decided to try out a simple looking tomato soup recipe. I also realized that I would need something to go along with it to keep everyone from immediately getting hungry, and when I saw SK's leek toast recipe, I thought that would be just the thing. From my earlier experience this year making potato leek soup, I have learned that I quite like cooked leeks, and since the recipe included bread and cheese, how could I say no?



Leek Toast (it took longer to cook than the soup)


1 1/2 pounds leeks (about 3 big leeks), lengthwise and white and pale green parts sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 3 generous cups of slices)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing toasts
Coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 medium-sized or 12 baguette-sized 1/2-inch slices of bread of your choice
2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled [I used cyrene, which is similar to feta]
Few drops of lemon juice (optional)

Fill a large bowl with cold water. Add leeks and use your hands to pump them up and down in the water a bit, separating the rings and letting the dirt and grit fall to the bottom. Transfer to a dish or plate for a minute; no need to dry them.

Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy skillet over medium. Once hot, add butter and olive oil and once they’re fully melted and a bit sizzly, add the leek slices, still wet. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and cook leeks for 25 minutes, stirring them occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.

While leeks cook, brush bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Run under broiler until lightly toasted. You may either spread the cheese you’re using on now, while the toasts are hot, or sprinkle it on at the end. Divide leeks among toasts. Sprinkle with cheese, if you haven’t spread it underneath. Add a few drops of lemon juice, if desired. Eat at once or gently rewarm a bit later.

Creamy Tomato Soup
This made quite a bit of soup, enough for four roommates and a bowl or two leftover.




1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup, undiluted

1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed [I actually didn't include this; I'm sure it makes it creamier and delicious, though]

In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, soup, milk, sugar, basil, paprika and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment