Sunday, February 9, 2014

Steamed Clams + Pasta

These were on sale at FD for $0.49/each a while back, so I got a half dozen to test out cooking clams. I'd never done it before, and I think I'm safely far from pro. This meal ended up so-so, but I can easily blame that on lack of skill and not recipe fault. Hard to say. It wasn't that they weren't good - it was just less sauce than I expected for the pasta, and possibly I have no idea how to cook clams.

Of course I can't find the exact recipe I used, but having looked over several that seem similar and familiar, I think we can rough out what went on.  I'd say this recipe I'm looking at on Savory Sweet Life looks like a tempting one to consider, so we'll go with that and assume that's what I followed except I poured it all over pasta.

3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine or dry Vermouth
2 pounds of clams (Littlenecks or Manilla), rinsed and cleaned
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
*optional 1 small lemon cut into wedges

Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until garlic is fragrant but not burned. Add wine and increase heat to medium-high until wine is brought to a simmering boil. Add clams and cooked covered for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened. Discard any clams still closed. Add parsley and give the pot a quick stir. Transfer clams and broth to a large serving bowl, serving with lemon wedges on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment