Wednesday, May 18, 2011

cinnamon chocolate scones

Evidently I sort of have a thing for scones. I was on the hunt for a cupcake or muffin recipe that I could make with the ingredients that always hang out on my pantry shelf and in my fridge (flour, oats, various sugars, Dutch cocoa powder, eggs, cream). Then it occurred to me that I like scones a lot and that I would like to make scones using chocolate and cinnamon. Most of the recipes generated by my google search included chocolate chips or chunks, which I did not have on hand, so I got a bit nervous that I would have to improvise more than I liked and figure it out for myself. Luckily I happened upon a recipe with only cocoa powder required. Well, they required chips for the glaze, but I thought it sounded rich enough without that added.

Note: the recipe link is for 3 scones; I multiplied it times 4 to make my recipe. I still ended up with only 6 scones, but they are MONSTERS. I consider this a good thing. On one of them, I sprinkled some cayenne pepper, as I would like to start experimenting more with spicy Mexican-esque chocolate more often. It came out being pretty spicy and very obviously only in the crust, so I think next time, I would mix it in to half of the batch in the dry ingredients and see how it works like that. All in all, I think I like my spice scones better, but I think that is more because I just really love those scones because these were quite good. They were more like cookies than cake or scones, and as I didn't measure exactly my cream or butter [and just realized that I misread the egg amount as whole egg instead of by tbsp], I think that may have been because the dough was wetter than normal scone dough. And I think the chocolate might change the texture considerably. Anyway, definitely not a bust! Do serve with milk :)





2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 Tbs cold unsalted butter, diced
4 Tbs egg (beaten) --- I just realized that it was 1 TBSP egg, and I skipped TSBP and added 4 eggs instead of 4 tbsp, though I'm not sure how I would have measured out 4 tbsp of beaten egg
1/4 c heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. Place flour, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Using the knife blade, process until blended. Add the butter pieces and pulse until crumbs form. Transform to a medium sized bowl. [I used a hand mixer for these steps and it seemed fine.]

3. Place egg, cream, and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk together; pour into the center of the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until the dough starts to hold together.

4. Divide into three equal parts and roll into balls, press to 1 inch thick, sprinkle with sugar, and bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment