Sunday, May 29, 2011

Greek food

There is a reason I haven't posted in a while. Last Friday, May 20, was graduation. The students didn't come to school (but we did), and then we had the ceremony at 5 pm. We then didn't have school on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday as a result of some holiday (I will eventually read my students' journals and find out which one). So to take advantage of our 5 day weekend, about 20 of us went to Thassos, Greece. We left after graduation and drove down to Serres on Friday night, drove to the coast and took the ferry over to Thassos (island) on Saturday morning, and then proceeded to have a wonderful weeklong vacation on the beach. I was in heaven. It was the most relaxing vacation I have possibly ever had - no specific things to do except enjoy the beach, relax, have fun, and eat.

And the eating was good. Some of the other teachers introduced me to the Greek cheese salad (tirosalata), which is pretty much the best thing ever, or at least is in close competition with my other favorite food, queso. Tirosalata is a whipped cheese spread with peppers, and it tastes amazing. We spread it on bread, dipped veggies in it, and when we ran out of those, just ate it straight off the fork. I just googled the salad, and here is a recipe that I haven't tried but might well have to just so I can eat this stuff again soon. I think I ordered about 6 cheese salads over the course of the 5 days.

Of course I also ate many Greek salads. I avoided the onions, olives, and peppers, so I was basically eating the Bulgarian Shopska salata (cucumber, tomato, and shredded cyrene) with hunks of feta instead of shredded cyrene. I figured eating a cheese salad and a Greek salad would be a very healthy beach diet.

As we were on an island, I also enjoyed quite a bit of seafood - mussels, shrimp, calamari. I don't love mussels, but I ordered them several times and enjoyed the experience. When in Greece...

Okay, so I didn't really eat a wide range of food most of the time, but it was delicious. Mostly I just had to rave a little bit about the tirosalata, which I am definitely missing (but maybe my waistline isn't). Thassos was incredible, and I'm ready to go back anytime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment