Friday, May 13, 2011

cornbread muffins

I haven't been on SK much lately, and I didn't cook this week because I was too sick/tired on Monday and luckily was saved by an event with food. I looked on Tuesday to see what she had posted lately, and I saw this sour cream cornbread recipe. It was interesting to me because it had some spicy pepper in it, and while I am not a spicy fan, I thought it sounded good and not overwhelming. Today after school, I decided that I was just going to have a low key night at home, and that meant cooking. The recipe is very easy to make and was done so quickly and easily that I went on to make cupcakes just so that I felt like I had my fill of cooking for the week. I keep slipping down to the kitchen to heat up another muffin and add some slightly salted butter to it.







SK note: Aleppo is a Turkish bright red pepper flake with a mild-to-moderate kick and a bit of tartness. I bought mine from Penzey’s in Grand Central. If you don’t have aleppo, a regular red pepper flake, cayenne or hot paprika, in a much smaller quantity, would be a nice substitution.

1 cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (145 grams) yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoon (25 grams) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon dried aleppo flakes [I sprinkled some cayenne in, as seen in the photo]
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk [I made it using milk with a bit of white wine vinegar splashed in and left to sit a min]
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Generously butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or coat it with a nonstick spray.

Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, aleppo and salt together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, buttermilk and olive oil. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing until just barely combined. Spread the batter in your prepared pan and bake for 22 to 25 minutes. [I put mine into a cupcake tin because I prefer my food to be already in portion sizes, and I think it took roughly the same amount of time, but just keep an eye on it.] A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment