Sunday, March 4, 2012

applesauce cake

I haven't baked anything in a couple weeks, so I was sort of itching for it a bit yesterday. I decided to do something a little different and I.... well, I made a video. On the one hand, it was fun to make and edit and what not. On the other hand, it is a little embarrassing - to have made it, to see myself in it, to watch myself stumble a bit. But oh well, I think I'll live. And when I try it again, hopefully it is all a little better. It is definitely longer than it probably needs to be, so next time I'll work on getting shorter clips to put together to use so it doesn't drag on as long (unless you're just into me chatting away).

[video is still saving/exporting/uploading, so I'll add it in later]

In terms of the recipe itself, I liked it. The final product doesn't have much of a strong flavor at all, but it is good. Like I said in the video (when I very gracefully tried it - note: learn how to eat on camera better), it tastes like a simple breakfast cake. If you wanted to add a bit more spice to it to bump up the flavor, that could be good, and as the recipe suggests, you can add in some nuts or raisins to make it a little more exciting. Or you can frost it and make it more of a sweeter dessert cupcake.







1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
(1/4 tsp ground all-spice)
(1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup white or packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup lightly sweetened or unsweetened thick applesauce
(1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans)
(1 cup raisins or dried currants)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Have all the ingredients out at room temperature.

Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, spices, and salt together.

In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds. Beat in the sugar for 3-5 minutes until lightened in color and fluffy. Then beat in the egg.

On low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the applesauce in 2 parts, beating after each addition until just incorporated. Then mix in nuts/raisins if desired.

Bake until a toothpick comes out clean:
12 muffins for 15-20 min
8-in square pan for 25-30 min
8-in fluted tube pan for 40-45 min
8.5 x 4.5-in loaf pan for 60-70 min

Frost with caramel frosting, quick butterscotch frosting, or quick brown butter icing, or dust with confectioner's sugar.

Nutritional information (for 1/12 of recipe)
200 calories
8g total fat
31g total carbs
1g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment