Sunday, March 4, 2012

pizza and calzone

Last week, my boyfriend and I made pizza for dinner. I used a basic recipe for the dough from the pizza kit that I gave him and substituted a bit of whole wheat flour for the regular all-purpose flour. I think it was supposed to make 4 pizzas but we made 1 pizza and 1 calzone with it, and the crust definitely was quite thick. So I should certainly work on my pizza skills and rolling out the dough or tossing it or whatever. We watched this video of Jamie Oliver making a calzone. It is dubbed in German (almost wrote Deutsch), so we just muted it and watched how he did it in terms of folding it over and sealing it shut. We brushed ours with egg to make it brown a bit more. I think if it had been a thinner crust for the calzone, it would have been slightly more successful as it was a bit doughy/bready.

To prep the pizza crust, we seasoned it with a mix of herbes de provence, basil, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and then put it in the oven for a few minutes to crust a bit. For both, we used a basic Ragu tomato sauce (I forgot to get stuff at the store and so had to run to a corner grocery at 9 pm and just get whatever they had), though I normally would like to make a tomato sauce by hand (or just do a white pizza, but my boyfriend thought that was a crazy idea). Then we grated mozzarella across the pizza, put on some sliced tomatoes, and added some globs of ricotta. We added a bit of chopped bell peppers to the calzone as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment