Friday, March 23, 2012

strawberry banana breakfast cake

This is SO DELICIOUS! I'm super excited about it. I made this recipe several times before - the strawberry summer cake - and I recently made it as cupcakes for my boyfriend and I and added bananas. YES, PLEASE! They caramelized a bit on top and were so incredible that I just had to make it again as soon as we ate the cupcakes. I decided to do it as a cake because the cupcakes didn't quite have the surface area I wanted/needed and the bananas caramelized a bit onto the cupcake pan and that was not as much fun to clean up. So I just used the same strawberry cake recipe as before, wedged the strawberries in first (all over the place), and then put the bananas on top. I think we got about 10 slices of this, but I seriously could eat it all in one sitting, happily.







6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for pie plate
1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup (200 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
1 pound (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10-inch pie pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie pan (what I used). This cake would also work in a 9- or 10-inch springform or cake pan. The 10-inch would make a thinner cake than pictured.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined. Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.

Pour into prepared pie plate. This time, I wedged the strawberries into it because the cake rises more than you'd think and this way there is fruit throughout. I laid my banana slices on top of the cake and strawberries and then the cake rose around them. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries. [I'm not sure whether or not I think the sugar is necessary with the bananas on top - I did it for the cake but not the cupcakes and couldn't tell a difference, so why bother?]

Bake cake for 10 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes [significantly less for cupcakes]. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let cool in pan on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment