Friday, March 23, 2012

poached eggs

I love eggs. I love them in the morning or at lunch or at night. I love them poached, scrambled, and fried. I love them any time. This isn't a new Dr. Seuss rhyme I'm trying out (but what do you think, is it a hit?), but it is really the truth. I eat a lot of eggs, from breakfast tacos to eggs on toast to scrambled eggs with polenta (cheesy grits?), they are my go-to meal option. It's got good cholesterol, protein, some fat, and it always tastes good.

I think poached eggs are a somewhat intimidating way of cooking eggs that a lot of people either don't know how to do or don't want to do for some reason. It's so easy! and healthy! and takes pretty much the same amount of time as normal eggs. Yes, you have to boil water first but seriously? Anticipate your meal by 5-10 minutes and fill a skillet with water. You can handle this, I'm sure of it. Plus you get a nicely cooked white (important to me) with a deliciously runny yolk (also important to me) an no guilt!

I have a new cooking guru, thanks to my boyfriend's obsession with him, and it's Chef John from Food Wishes. Here's his entry about poached eggs and below, the video! I'm excited to know that I recently learned that you use some vinegar to help them stay together. I still love Alton Brown as my official on all things cooking. Plus he's quirky and nerdy and goofy. I love him. I will say that I just crack mine in and they look the same, so don't stress if you don't have the ramekins, etc. Both Chef John and Alton Brown say pretty much the same thing in their videos and it's along the lines of what my dad always did when poaching my eggs, thus the way I do it. It's simple! Give it a try. I did learn from them both, though, that you can save them up to 8 hours in cold water! Who knew?!

Tonight, I made a little sandwich for myself with a poached egg, avocado, tomato, and cheese on an english muffin. It was good but to be honest the hot and cold mix wasn't the best. It was sort of pretty though. I still loved it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment