Tuesday, February 15, 2011

BLBC

I am a happy (and currently very full) member of the BLBC, or Bulgarian Ladies' Book Club. Actually, it is all the international female faculty of our school, and we get together about once a month to eat a lot of delicious things and talk about the book we just read. We voted on the books over the summer, assigned them each a month, picked dates to cook (so you only cook once but eat many times) and host, and then got started. So far, I haven't fallen in love with any of the books we have read, but it has been really fun to be back in an environment where people are discussing books, and the food is always delicious.

Last fall, I did the food with one of my roommates, and that is when I made the incredible chocolate peanut butter cake. Tonight, my other two roommates hosted, and while I am not posting their recipes, I thought I would show the pictures I took of their snacks. Tonight's books was Lady Chatterly's Lover by D. H. Lawrence, and I was the discussion leader. Off the top of my head, our food options for the evening were:

  • 7 layer dip, homemade onion dip, ranch dip with chips, carrots, celery, and cauliflower 
  • homemade pretzels with nacho cheese or mustard
  • homemade lamingtons (this recipe I will have to post later, they are incredible)
  • banitsa (a Bulgarian pastry with cyrene cheese inside)
  • that worms in mud dessert... you know, oreos, pudding, whipped cream, and gummi worms
  • mulled wine

 Wagon wheel of banitsa (not homemade, from the grocery store frozen aisle):



I may have forgotten something, but it was all really delicious. I am absurdly full.

No comments:

Post a Comment