Sunday, February 6, 2011

guest blog: chocolate cookies

One of my roommates has a go-to chocolate cookie recipe that she uses from Martha Stewart's cookie book, which is really a lovely book to look at, if only for the pictures of the cookies. They are Martha's Grammy's Chocolate Cookies, and we are all big fans. She made a batch the other night as a thank you to another teacher for doing her a favor (proctoring her exams after missing a layover on her way back from Prague), and I asked if I could take pictures and include the recipe on my food blog. So, here is the recipe, which she also submitted to our Bulgarian Ladies' Book Club cookbook that we are compiling.


 The guest pastry chef, ready to put a batch into the oven and graciously allowing me to paparazzi her simple cookie baking experience




2 cups plus two tablespoons flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
Sugar for rolling

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a different bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat to combine. Form dough into a flattened disk, wrap with plastic wrap and chill for one hour. Shape dough into 1 ¼-inch balls and roll each ball in sugar. Place the balls on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for ten to twelve minutes.

Makes about 40 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I had these cookies recently at one of my book group meetings. I forget which book we discussed, but I sure do remember those cookies! What a lovely baking assistant!

    ReplyDelete