Tuesday, February 15, 2011

broccoli cauliflower pasta

So I swapped dinner with my roommate to cook tonight [edit: Feb 6], Sunday night, and to make things even more out of the ordinary we didn't play Settlers of Catan tonight. Wait, nevermind. We did play Settlers for probably the 84th time since my roommate brought it back from winter break. No, the real way I mixed things up was by using a recipe NOT from Smitten Kitchen. Yes, folks, I acknowledge that other food blogs exist. I always knew it but I saw no reason to change. What are all of those sayings - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - and so on. Well, I tend to agree. But so many friends had linked to 101 Cookbooks on my facebook and in emails that I figured I would go peruse their vegetarian dinner options and see if there was something that excited me. I found a recipe accompanied by an interesting description of a school in California, Oxbow School, and decided to give it a try. It was titled "Best School Lunch" and I figured that if students liked it, why wouldn't teachers?



Ingredients (as listed on 101 Cookbooks, I didn't quite have everything)

1 bunch broccoli
1 head cauliflower
2 medium yellow onions
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
A generous pinch of saffron threads
A generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
olive oil as needed
2 tablespoons golden raisins
1/2 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley for garnish
Freshly grated Parmesan, to taste, about 1 cup
1 pound dried pasta
1 cup pasta water, reserved from cooking (may or may not use all of it)


Slice/chop up broccoli and cauliflower into bite size pieces, but keep separate from each other. First, cook broccoli in pan with olive oil and a generous amount of salt to ensure flavor. Once broccoli is cooked (I alternated having a lid on the pan and then stir frying it), pour it into a bowl and repeat the process with the cauliflower.

Meanwhile, boil water and cook pasta.

Cook onions in olive oil (if using onions, I didn't because the grocery store didn't have any fresh) until halfway cooked. Add in garlic, a pinch of saffron, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and some salt. Cook until onions are tender.

Drain pasta and reserve some pasta water. Return pasta to pot, mix in cauliflower, broccoli, and some of the pasta water. Mix in raisins, pine nuts (I used almonds because we didn't have pine nuts), and rosemary. Put on medium low heat for a few minutes and mix. Serve with grated parmesean on top and salt/pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment