Wednesday, March 2, 2011

lemon parmesan pasta

This Monday I did not have a lot of energy or time for dinner. I finished school, came home, found a recipe, hustled to the grocery story and back, had dance practice, and then came home to cook dinner. So I found a recipe for a pasta that looked yummy, simple, filling, and used only a few ingredients (the less to carry home on my chilly walk from the HIT to my house). SK pulled through again. I realized that I had made a similar recipe a while ago with asparagus, but this was good and easy, and I also was able to make banana bread muffins with my browned bananas. It did well as a reheated lunch the next couple of days, which always makes life and lunchtime easy and pleasant (especially while I watch the last few episodes of Wildfire!).





1 pound spaghetti or linguine
Salt
3 lemons
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil , plus additional for serving
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup), plus additional for serving
Ground black pepper
Small handful fresh basil or arugula leaves, shredded [the grocery store didn't have either, so I skipped it]

Cook linguine or spaghetti in well-salted water to your al dente tastes in a large, wide-bottomed pot.

While pasta is cooking, zest lemons until you have a little shy of a tablespoon of zest. Juice lemons — you’ll have anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice.

Drain pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups of pasta cooking water. Dry out your pot, then boil the olive oil, cream, zest and 1 cup of the reserved pasta water together for two minutes over high heat. Return pasta to pot and stir until coated. Add the cheese and 1/4 cup lemon juice and toss, toss, toss everything together. Add more pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, if you’d like your dish a little looser. Quickly taste a strand of pasta and see if you want to add the remaining lemon juice. Stir in basil or arugula and season generously with salt and pepper.

Serve immediately, drizzling individual portions with a bit of extra olive oil and sprinkling with extra Parmesan cheese.

I got some broccoli, steamed it, and tossed that in to the pasta after both were done to add some veggies to the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment