Tuesday, March 1, 2011

cornmeal pancakes with fruit

Edit: I wrote this entry a few days ago, uploaded pictures from my camera, and returned to add photos and publish the post only to realize that I did not take any food pictures from this dinner. Apocalypse, now? Anyway, hopefully they still entice you sans photo because they were quite yummy. My apologies! I won't let it happen again.

It seems my friends are all conspiring me to broaden my horizons beyond SK, and I am trying to let them. My friend, Andy, and I talk food from time to time, and he gave me the link to the Wednesday Chef blog. I found a recipe for cornmeal cranberry pancakes, and I decided that I wanted a slightly exciting but homey breakfast for my Monday night dinner this week. I was relaxed and cleared out after my spa weekend in Velingrad with the BLBC, so I also wanted something sort of healthy, though I guess most of my Monday dinners are pretty healthy - they are all made from scratch anyway.

Of course, cranberries weren't around and the fruit that was available was not terribly affordable, so I got a bag of frozen mixed berries and decided to risk it. I also couldn't get maple syrup because the only bottle I saw was in the special section and cost 20 leva ($14 USD), which is just too much for me to even splurge on.

This recipe turned out really well, and I would definitely make it again. I let the berries warm up a bit in the fridge before cooking and then rinsed them a few times in a colander and let them sit while I prepped everything else. I also used honey as a topping due to the lack of syrup, and that worked really well. I thought of honey as a substitute not only because of its similar texture but also because my mom and grandpa always eat honey (or applesauce) with cornbread, and I love both of those combinations. I had a couple pancakes left over, and as per the recommendation of my roommate, I heated them up in the toaster, which kept them crispy and warmed them up, and it was really nice for breakfast the next day.

10 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks, plus more for greasing pan [maybe you could use a bit less, I used about 10, but I think it might not be totally necessary]
2 cups milk
4 large eggs
2 cups flour
½ cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ¼ cups chopped fresh cranberries [or a mixed bag of frozen berries, if you live in Bulgaria]
Maple syrup [or honey, see above reasoning]

In a saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the butter and milk until the butter melts. Set aside until lukewarm, about 15 minutes. Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Slowly stir in ½ cup of the warm milk mixture (it cannot be hot, or it will cook the eggs). Pour in the remaining milk mixture and stir to combine.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture a little at a time, stirring slowly, just until the dry ingredients are well moistened. The batter should be lumpy and will start to bubble.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat until a few drops of water sprinkled on it sizzle. Lightly grease the pan with butter, then add 3 to 4 tablespoons batter to make a 4-inch pancake. As soon as the batter sets, sprinkle the top with cranberries. Cook until bubbles break on the surface. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds, or until the bottom is lightly browned. Repeat, buttering the pan and adjusting the heat as needed. Serve with maple syrup/honey.

As mentioned, I had leftovers (after feeding four) and reheated using the toaster, which worked really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment