Tuesday, March 22, 2011

no school bread

So I have been really MIA for a while. The deal is that things have been busy with Faculty Follies Rehearsals (talent show fundraiser, I'm dancing!), teaching/grading (my classes got 50% on their last test, grrr), and whatever else it is that I do with my time. Last Monday, I "cooked" premade ravioli, warmed up a jar of pasta sauce, and made a salad. It was okay, but I felt pretty lame. I just haven't cooked anything in a while. We didn't have school today because the teachers all proctored the school's entrance exam for 7th graders yesterday, so after I stayed up until 5 am skyping one of my really good friends and watching the DIVA channel, I woke up and decided that I better bake something today. I was planning on something like cookies or cupcakes or muffins, which still tempt me, but then I was revisiting SK after a long hiatus away and decided to try out this bread recipe because it looked simple, not terribly long term, and she claimed it was delicious. Off I went to the kitchen, blasting and dancing to classic hits like Ke$ha, Pink, and whoever sings that g6 song [kids, that is an example of a noun clause, which you clearly still haven't learned in spite of a test and quiz on the material].







2 cups (250 grams or 8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons (25 grams or 7/8 ounce) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (5 grams) table salt
1 1/8 teaspoon (1/2 packet or 1/8 ounce) active dry yeast
3/4 cup (177 ml) milk
4 tablespoons (57 grams or 2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk

In a large bowl, mix 3/4 cup flour, sugar, salt and dry yeast by hand or with an electric mixer.

In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter together until the mixture is warm (105 to 110 degrees); don’t worry if this butter isn’t completely melted. Gradually pour the warm ingredients into the dry mixture and mix with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or stir vigorously by hand with a wooden spoon for 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk and another 1/2 cup flour and beat again for 2 minutes by machine or 3 by hand. Add the last of the flour and beat or stir until smooth. [I found that it didn't really come together using my electric mixer on the last step, so I floured my hands and just dug in until the dough came together.]

Scrape down bowl and cover the top with plastic wrap. Let rise for one hour or until doubled. Meanwhile, butter and flour a 9×5x3-inch loaf pan. Once the dough has doubled, scrape it into the prepared pan. Cover with buttered plastic wrap and let rise for a total of 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, however, remove the plastic and preheat your oven to 375°F.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Heatter says the bread should make a hollow sound if tapped with your fingertips but I haven’t weathered mine enough yet that I didn’t find it unpleasant.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes then turn out to a rack to cool. Eat it warm and with some lightly salted butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment