Tuesday, August 16, 2011

banana bread muffins

I'm not sure if I have posted this recipe before, but as it is the first time I made it in the US and with all the correct American ingredients (specifically, light brown sugar and vanilla extract), I decided I could still put it up again. It was really yummy, and even though I do believe that you don't need exact ingredients for things to come out tasting delicious, I can appreciate how some ingredients make a big difference (light brown vs. dark brown sugar).

This also was my inaugural experiment in my new apartment in Austin! First of all, I love my apartment (thanks to my family who helped me out tremendously). Second of all, I have been enjoying Austin (both by being lazy and getting out with some old friends). Third of all, I'm excited to get back to cooking after about two months. How cute is my kitchen? Okay, back to the food. I made these and gave them away to some of my high school friends living a few streets away. They were really tasty.
Taking my new kitchen out for a test drive:

 How cute is my oven mitt? My godmother got it for my from Anthropologie, 
which I can't afford but of course find adorable
 Okay I just thought the label was cute. I'm a sucker for packaging.



3 to 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted salted butter
3/4 to 1 cup light brown sugar (depending on the level of sweetness you prefer, I always use the smaller amount)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
1 1/2 cup of flour

Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, vanilla and bourbon, then the spices. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix.

I baked it in a muffin tin, and it made 12 muffins. You can also make it as a loaf. As a loaf, it takes about 50 minutes. As muffins, it took a lot less time and I just had to check it. My guess is about 30 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment