Wednesday, August 31, 2011

lemon glaze muffins

My first recipe that I made from one of my new cookbooks! I got this recipe out of the Ina Garten book, Barefoot Contessa at Home. She called it the lemon yogurt cake. I, as per usual, made it in muffin tins because I just prefer the serving size. I also think I may have forgotten to add the vegetable oil, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it turned out pretty tasty. I had my sister take some home to her roommates. It's handy having people to share my experiments with! I also skipped part of the recipe (something to pour over after it baked before the glaze) since it seemed like more sugar then I needed in my life.

I also started using this iphone app - My Fitness Pal. Through that (though also many other apps/websites offer this), I track what I eat every day, and they have an area where I can enter recipes. That way, I put in the ingredients and serving size and can see the nutritional information for each thing I make and then eat. I decided to start posting the nutritional info at the bottom of recipes I make (though it is based on my specific yogurt, butter, milk, etc used). I really like the app. I find it pretty user friendly and they have a barcode option, where you can scan the barcode of the food and most of the time it is in their database, which I really like because then I know its exactly the same product I ate.








1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt [I used nonfat because that's what I had]
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil

glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Either grease a bread pan and line the bottom with parchment paper or grease a muffin tin.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into one bowl.

In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Carefully fold the vegetable oil into the batter.

Pour the batter into the pans and then bake for about 50 minutes (less for muffins, just watch), until cake tester comes out clean.

After they have cooled, mix the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice and pour over them. I found that I needed more than 2 tbsp to make it the right consistency.

Nutritional information (for one of 12 muffins)
266 calories
10.7 g total fat
46.3 mg cholesterol
39 g total carbs
3.9 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment