Tuesday, August 16, 2011

eggs baked with spinach and mushroom

No offense to my Bulgarian roommates, but there is something to be said for cooking for yourself only because it means I get to make whatever I like, using ingredients that I like. Things like mushrooms and meat are back on the menu, and peppers and onions and olives aren't making any major appearances (obviously, onions are necessary to most savory dishes). So I happily have been incorporating mushrooms back into my meals because they have that delicious meaty taste without being meat, which I am still a bit nervous about cooking. And this recipe was SO GOOD. I mean, I took my first bite and thought wow! This is really delicious. If you like these ingredients on your own, you will want to give this a whirl. And even though it heated up my kitchen and blew a lot of hot air in my face, it was still worth making in the summer.





*note: I was making this just for myself, so I didn't measure anything and just added what looked like the right amount to serve myself

10 oz baby spinach leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced (2 cups)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan

Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.

Bring 1/2 inch water to a boil in a 10- to 12-inch ovenproof heavy skillet (not cast-iron), then add half of spinach and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, about 30 seconds. Add remaining spinach and wilt in same manner, then cook, covered, over moderately high heat until spinach is tender, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander and cool under cold running water. Gently squeeze handfuls of spinach to remove as much liquid as possible, then coarsely chop.

Wipe skillet dry, then cook onion and garlic in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and increase heat to moderate, then cook, stirring, until mushrooms are softened and have exuded liquid, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and chopped spinach and bring to a simmer. Remove skillet from heat and make 4 large indentations in spinach mixture. Break an egg into each indentation and bake, uncovered, until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, 7 to 10 minutes. Lightly season eggs with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment