Friday, November 18, 2011

austin restaurants, part 2

I've been eating out a bit more in Austin, so I thought I would briefly mention some places I have tried out. I'm sure there are several others that I have been to, but these are the ones that came to mind easily.

G'raj mahal
I didn't really eat here since I didn't have a full meal, but I got some naan and a yogurt sauce (because I was missing Bulgaria a bit and snhezhanka) and it was delicious. I had read about it in the eat.shop austin book, and I really want to go back.

Clive Bar
This bar is across the street from G'raj Mahal and I actually ate my G'raj mahal food in the bar with a friend while having some specialty drink the bartender suggested, who then taught me about bitters and other things that were interesting but that I have clearly forgotten already. It was a cool environment though. The only downside is that it is among a group of establishments smack in the middle of a neighborhood, so there is a limited and terrible parking situation.

Toastie's Sub Shop
I went here because I was running errands and checked Living Social/Groupon for now! deals for lunch and both had something for Toastie's and it was pretty nearby where I was. I am going back. This place was delicious. Also, the people were super friendly.
Confession: I had never had a Cuban sandwich before. But, I do not regret that this was my first one. I had read about how good theirs was in a review, so I decided to try it out. I could only eat half at the time and had the second half for dinner, and both times it was just incredible. They had delectable pulled pork in it with cheese and ham and the bread was good. It definitely isn't healthy, but I want more.

Kome
I went to this sushi place for a lunch date, and it was really good. Granted, we only had two rolls, but I enjoyed them, and they had a lot of lunch specials with ramen and udon that looked good, albeit embarrassing to eat, so I really want to go back and slurp my way through one of those specials. I also just love sushi pretty much any opportunity I have to eat it.

Sago
This was a cool restaurant, and if you are into nouveau Mexican, you will probably like it. The food was good, but it was a lot of smoky flavors, and I am not the biggest fan of that sort of thing. It's in the Triangle, which is a cool little area near Hyde Park, where I live, so it was nice to try out somewhere there besides the Office Max and yogurt place.

Bouldin Creek Cafe
After a 5:30 am crew meeting that lasted until 7 am, I had an awkward amount of time to kill and could no longer go back home to bed, so I met a friend for breakfast. He suggested this place as he is obviously a regular, and I liked it. It definitely had a hip, local feel to it, and I didn't even catch on immediately that it was vegetarian/vegan. I got a mushroom, leek, garlic omelet and orange juice and was totally satisfied. He had some granola and a breakfast taco that looked pretty intense and delicious.

The Local Pub and Patio, Taco N Todo
There is a taco truck in the back patio of this bar, and it is awesome! I got a taco there one of my first days in Austin, and it was really delicious, but not as delicious as my friend's taco al pastor. I need to go back and get like 4 of those... Also the pub is nice because it has a lot of couches and tv, so we would go to watch Rangers games.

Man Bites Dog
Welcome to the hip hot dog party! I came here with the guys because, duh, they love meat, and actually, turns out I really like eating it on a regular basis too. Who knew? These hot dogs are gigantic and usually hard to finish. But they are pretty good. I tried the lamb one my first time and I didn't really love it. The Hair of the Dog was really intense, but I'm a fan of the egg on random other items trend. I also had a chili cheese dog, which was good. The guys also really love their fries. I also just realized I already posted about this. Oh well! Why bother deleting this now that it's written? We all know it is so hard for me to write anything.. ha.

Jo's
I went here today with a friend after we saw Margin Call at the Violet Crown (and sat in lazboys!), and we got Cuban sandwiches, as I now love them in spite of their unhealthiness. I actually had also been here with my mom and Clarke and Ebe when they were in town and we were wandering around a little street festival on 2nd. I can say that their hamburgers and cuban sandwiches are pretty big and pretty yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment