Thursday, November 17, 2011

tomato soup

I found this simple tomato soup recipe via a google search, and I liked that it even had an image of the original recipe, en français. To be honest, my recipe didn't turn out as well as theirs sounded like it did, but I think I know where to attribute the problems. No. 1: laziness; I didn't chop up the tomatoes beforehand, which certainly should make a difference with consistency. No. 2: I drained the tomato juice before putting the tomatoes in, and now I'm thinking that maybe it was supposed to be part of it. The recipe isn't really clear on that. But that is why I like using cooking blogs with pictures, cause I can double check things. No. 3: I actually don't have a No. 3 because I'm pretty sure I followed the rest of it. As an aside, I made 1/2 the recipe, and it was about 2 servings.

Anyway, what was wrong is that mine was too thick, but it tasted pretty good. The next time I make tomato soup, and I will, it will be from SK because I have my eye on a recipe she made that looks amazing. My only concern is my lack of oven-safe mugs.






3 pounds fresh or canned tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
several sprigs of thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch paprika
1 egg yolk
2 Tablespoons creme fraiche
salt and pepper
Garnish: 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan and thinly sliced basil leaves

In a large saucepan, stir together all the ingredients except the egg yolk and creme fraiche, bring to a boil, and cook on medium heat for 40 minutes. Remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil for a minute or two. Puree in a blender, return to the pan, then reheat at a simmer. Right before serving, beat the egg yolk with the creme fraiche. Whisk the egg-creme fraiche mixture into the pot and cook, stirring, on low heat until the soup thickens.

When ready to serve, set out the soup plates (warming them is nice), ladle in the soup and top with Parmesan and slivers of basil leaf. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment