Friday, November 25, 2011

thanksgiving: pumpkin pie

As mentioned, I made the pies this year. First up was pumpkin pie, the ol' traditional. I used an SK recipe for the crust, which was heavenly (both as dough and baked), and posted it here. As for the pie filling, I just followed the recipe on the Kroger pumpkin pie can. Yes, it tasted delicious, and I loved the pie. For the whipped cream, I just whipped 1 cup of heavy whipping cream with 3 tbsp sugar, and it was perfect. You could also add a bit of vanilla to that if you wanted.
Trying to crimp the edges of my pie. 
It worked in the dough, but didn't make it through baking. Next time!







1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk [I think I may have only used 1 cup since I didn't pour in the whole can]
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Combine filling ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well. Pour into pie crust.

Bake 15 minutes at 425°. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue baking 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool pie before cutting. Refrigerate any leftovers.

*you can substitute 1 (12 oz.) can Evaporated Milk plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar for the Sweetened Condensed Milk.

Nutritional Information (1/8 of filling recipe)
180 calories
4g total fat
29g total carbs
6g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment