Wednesday, February 1, 2012

goat cheese & basil chicken

As it was personal training night for the boyfriend, it was another night for me to cook dinner. He said he wanted something relatively healthy and with chicken, so I decided upon this recipe from my Ina Garten cookbook. I've been making an effort lately to use my cookbooks more often even though the internet and SK and allrecipes are great resources.

This turned out really well. It was super easy to make, quick in terms of time spent on it (though it does have 40 minutes of cooking time), and tasted really good. We love goat cheese, so that worked out really well. I decided to make a little couscous salad to go with it, and I think that it paired well together. I got a few compliments on it, and since that always warms my little heart to hear I've made someone something delicious, I was a happy camper.





*I'm writing down my adjusted recipe. This was 2 breasts - he ate all of his but I had about 1/2-2/3 of mine.

2 chicken breasts [she says skin-on, boneless, but HEB doesn't sell that anymore. I bought the split breast with the bone-in and skin and then just cut the breast away from the bone. Also, it was considerably cheaper for much more meat than boneless, skinless.]
2 oz herb and garlic goat cheese [make sure you get a creamy kind]
2 fresh basil leaves
olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.

Loosen the skin from the breast, leaving one side attached. Cut the goat cheese into slices and place a few plus a large basil leaf under the skin of each chicken breast. Pull the skin over as much of the meat as possible so that it doesn't dry out.

Rub each piece with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Bake chicken for 35-40 minutes, until skin is lightly browned and chicken is just cooked through. [When I checked with my boyfriend after 40 minutes, he had me turn the oven up to 450 for another 5 minutes and it turned out really well. This helped get the skin a bit more crispy, and if I'm going to eat it, I definitely want it to be crispy.]



1/2 cup uncooked couscous [buy it in bulk from the grocery store for cheap!]
3/4 cup boiling water
Mix couscous and water and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

4 campari tomatoes [between cherry and vine tomato size, but whatever works for you]
2 leaves fresh basil
1 oz herb and garlic goat cheese
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar [I didn't actually measure]
2 tbsp olive oil [I didn't actually measure]
salt and pepper

Cut the tomatoes and julienne the basil. I mixed the balsamic, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper together to make a salad dressing [a simple one I learned from a roommate in Bulgaria]. Mix tomatoes, basil, goat cheese, and dressing into couscous. Serve on the side of the roasted chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment