Monday, February 6, 2012

honey cinnamon banana cupcakes

I was thinking about using some riper bananas to make banana bread (do they serve another purpose?), but I also had gotten two different icing decorating kits for Christmas, so I also wanted to make cupcakes and attempt my decorating skills again. Luckily for me, google showed that Ms. Martha Stewart herself had a recipe for a banana cupcake with honey cinnamon icing. Sounded good to me. As I was making them and tasting the batter, I thought it didn't quite have the pizzaz that I liked, so I added some cinnamon and brown sugar to the cupcake batter. I also mixed some chocolate chips in to the batter for the last 6 cupcakes, just cause why wouldn't chocolate make it more delicious?

I also recently kind of effed up my mixer. My sister was over making some chocolate chip cookies (we used the recipe off the chocolate chip bag) and it was getting really thick and sticking to the spatula. I tried to help her out by scraping it off with a knife. Then I thought I'd just mix it back it by scraping the knife on the mixing attachments while they were spinning. Well, this works with the spatula, but it is NOT a good idea with a metal knife, at all. Luckily, it wasn't totally horrific, but the knife ripped out of my hand and got jammed in the mixer. So we turned it off and pulled it out, and then we noticed that it twerked the stem of one of the mixers (why do I not know the actual terms for any of these parts?). I was pretty upset, but some wrangling with it and I was able to get it into a good enough position that it still works with the other one. PHEW! What would I do without my stand mixer? I guess I'd buy a hand mixer, but I'd feel pretty bad for breaking my grandmother's old mixer that I inherited.

Also, I love the smell of cooked bananas. Bananas foster is one of my favorite desserts, and I dragged my parents and sister across downtown Austin to find a place that makes real bananas foster for my birthday dessert. My dad makes amazing banana pancakes. Just one more reason to try this recipe out.



I saw a woman at work [more on that later] getting ready to ice a cake,
and she put the (much larger) icing bag in a pitcher and then used a spatula to fill the bag.
This wasn't quite as effective as I had much less icing and a smaller bag, but still way easier 
and more efficient than the other ways I've tried. It also gave me a free hand, which helped.
 The icing kit my boyfriend gave me - you can see the tip #s that I now have.
I like that this is a washable icing bag and the tips are metal and screw on to the bag,
which helps make it easy to switch tips while using one bag of icing.

 Just experimenting with icing decorations...

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon [my addition]
3 tbsp brown sugar [my addition]
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas), plus 1 whole banana, for garnish (optional) [I had enough with 2 large bananas]
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Honey-Cinnamon Frosting

1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
[I think the ratio was a bit off here - I would add a bit more confectioners' sugar to get the right taste and consistency; it tasted a bit too buttery]
[I also added a bit of yellow food coloring to it after it was mixed]


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Make a well in center of flour mixture. In well, mix together butter, mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to incorporate flour mixture (do not overmix).

Dividing evenly, spoon batter into muffin cups.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.

Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.

In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat confectioners' sugar, unsalted butter, honey, and ground cinnamon until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.

Spread tops with frosting. Just before serving, peel and slice banana into rounds, and place one on each cupcake, if desired.

Nutritional Information (for 1/12 of cupcake recipe) [no choc chips]
198 total calories
8g total fat
29g total carbs
3g protein

Nutritional Information (for 1/12 of icing recipe)
119 total calories
7g total fat
13g total carbs
0g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment