Monday, February 13, 2012

key lime pie

I saw key limes for sale at HEB the other day, and I just couldn't resist them. My boyfriend asked me not to make so many desserts (he has a point), but I just love making them so much! In spite of his desire for a slightly healthier cooking habit, he still helped me out by squeezing the limes (which probably wasn't too easy since they are so tiny) and bruléeing the meringue a bit more (that was mostly because he really likes playing with the torch).

I admit, this wasn't my best dessert. Changes? I would have cooked/toasted the crust more before filling it, I would have used a bit more butter in the crust, I would have let the pie cook a little longer, and I would let it cool all the way and then chill before serving it. That said, it still tastes good and was fun to make. I looked around the internet for recipes but decided upon three from the Joy of Cooking - graham cracker crust, key lime filling, and meringue I.









Crust:
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs [I used my food processor]
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled [I would use just a bit more]

Stir sugar and graham cracker crumbs together (with a bit of cinnamon if desired). Pour in melted butter and mix. Shape into shell in the pie pan, distributing fairly evenly and press firmly down.

Notes from Joy: Crumb crusts do not need to be baked but you have two options:
- if using unbaked, freeze for 20 minutes or the filling will soften it
- bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees to make it crunchy and more flavorful (cool before filling)

Filling:
15 oz can sweetened condensed milk [I used fat free - it was just fat free milk + sugar, no corn syrup]
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice (12-14 key limes)
3-4 tsp grated key lime zest [not necessary but I always like the added flavor of zest]

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Whisk milk, yolks, juice, and zest together until well blended. Pour into pie crust. If not topping with meringue, bake until the center looks set but quivers when the pie is jiggled (15-17 minutes). Let cool and then refrigerate for up to 1 day. Serve with whipped cream.

If using a meringue topping, bake the pie until it thickens just enough to support the topping, about 5-7 minutes. Spread the meringue around the edges of the filling, anchoring it to the crust at all points. Dollop the remaining meringue over the center and smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes more. Let cool completely on a rack, then refrigerate up to 1 day.

Meringue:
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup water
4 large egg whites [conveniently the same number of egg yolks you need for the filling]
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar

Mix cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water, making a smooth, runny paste. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring briskly all the while, then boil for 15 seconds. Remove the thick paste from heat and cover.

Beat egg whites until foamy. Add vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Very gradually beat in sugar. Beat on high speed until peaks are very stiff and glossy but not dry. Reduce speed to very low and beat in the cornstarch paste 1 tbsp at a time. When all the paste is incorporated, increase speed to medium and beat for 10 seconds. Spread over a hot pie filling and bake as directed.

Nutritional information (for 1/10 of crust + filling + meringue) [using fat-free condensed milk]
359 total calories
10g total fat
61g total carbs
7g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment