Monday, September 26, 2011

austin foods

I know I have been terribly MIA lately. I haven't really made many new recipes lately and have been trying to take advantage of some of the great food out and about in Austin. I don't think I have written down every restaurant I've been to, but several are definitely worth mentioning. I probably forgot a few, but here are several that I have sampled lately. In order of fanciness of establishment (obviously a very technical classification), but not necessarily flavor:

Barley Swine
My mom's best friend recommended this, so we went for my 25th birthday (exactly!) a month ago. Our waitress told us that the judges from Top Chef had been in the week before and she got to wait on them. The food was so incredibly delicious. We ordered 7 dishes for the 4 of us and every one was really, really good. I definitely recommend it.

Texas French Bread
My mom gave me a book about local restaurants and stores in Austin (eat.shop Austin), and this restaurant was one of the ones listed. Ebe took me out for my birthday and we had a really good meal. We got some ravioli, black drum fish, salad, and some wine that we brought from the next door quick mart.

Dart Bowl Steakhouse
Another restaurant in the book was the Dart Bowl Steakhouse, which theoretically was a restaurant that had really good steak and enchiladas but also had a bowling alley. So I used it as a first date, which thankfully was with someone who has a good sense of humor. Why? Because when we pulled up, it was definitely a bowling alley. We walked through the slightly disheveled main area and past the lanes to the cafe. Luckily, it was separate from the bowling alley area and so it seemed more like a restaurant. Sort of. Anyway, the food was fine, not great, but the date was fun and then we were already somewhere to bowl, so that worked.

Now for some low key places:

Torchy's Tacos
One of our friends works here, so we went the other day to try it out. Man, these were some delicious, filling tacos. I had the taco of the month, a pulled pork taco with sour cream, cheese, pickles, avocado, and bbq sauce. It was very good. They also have tricks like getting a tortilla "trailer park," meaning that it had queso on it.

Man Bites Dog
Note: I actually mistyped God, ahaha. We went here last night for dinner and it was really delicious. I got a lamb dog with tzatziki sauce, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, and a really soft, fluffy bun. I liked it, but I really liked the boys' beef dogs. On the hair of the dog, the beef dog wrapped in bacon, deep-fried with chili, and then covered with cheddar cheese, chili, a fried egg, and tabasco. It was a little spicy for me, but I liked it a lot. I am starting to appreciate fried eggs on a lot of different foods.

P. Terry's
This is a fast food burger place with really delicious, affordable burgers. Yum! And they are everywhere in Austin, or at least where I drive a lot

No comments:

Post a Comment