Wednesday, September 7, 2011

spice (and blueberry) scones

So I already posted this recipe a while ago, but I haven't made it at all in America, so it is sort of like making it for the first time again. I did half the recipe that I put into the BLBC cookbook, which yielded 6 scones and is what I will post below. I also put some blueberries in three of the scones, to see how I liked the flavor combination with the spices. I also put sea salt on two of the scones, one blueberry and one regular, because I have been noticing the use of salt to enhance the flavor of sweets. I also sprinkled some cardamon and cinnamon on top of two of the scones to see how I liked that. I can see how the sea salt works, but I wasn't won over with its application here. I liked the spices on top, though. I'm not really sure how to go about making up my own recipes, but I'm trying to start small with little tweaks (like slightly changing the amounts of butter or sugar and seeing if the effect is noticeable or bad, or substituting lowfat yogurt, etc).









1.5 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamon (or cinnamon, I did a combo of both)
dash nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 egg (I lightly beat one egg and poured in half of that)
1/2 cup yogurt (I used lowfat natural plain)
3 tbsp butter (it calls for half a stick)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix dry ingredients together first. Add butter, cubed into small pieces. Add egg, yogurt, sugar, and candied ginger (if you want, or blueberries). Mix together until thick dough forms (this may take a while and require the use of your hands and then subsequent licking of your fingers). Grease cookie sheet (or put down parchment paper) and put scones on as balls or cut into triangles. Cook in oven for around 25 minutes until light golden brown.

Nutritional information (for 1 of 6 scones, no blueberries/add-ins)
209 calories
6.4 g total fat
34.1 mg cholesterol
31.3 g carbs
4.6 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment