Thursday, September 1, 2011

sauteed tilapia with salsa

I have been wanting to use my new hand blender and all its accessories, so the other day I made some homemade salsa. It wasn't terribly exciting, I just threw some tomato, onion, cilantro, line juice, and salt into the chopper and let it do the work. It made it pretty small, so its was more pureed than most salsa. I think if I wanted it chunkier, I would need to do less pieces at a time and mix it up separately. But it did taste pretty good, though pretty simple for those of you that like more jazzy flavors. You could add mango or jalepeno or whatever else tickles your fancy.

Tonight I invited my sister over for dinner, and as she is a pescatarian, I decided to get some tilapia. My dad makes it pretty often considering that both his girlfriend and my sister only eat fish, and it is really easy to cook tilapia, in addition to it being pretty inexpensive. I went to Central Market to get some on my way home today and it was $7.99/lb and for one filet it was only about $3. I also made some zucchini fritters (posted earlier) to go with the fish and then lemon glaze muffins for dessert.



I didn't really follow a recipe for this. I looked up how to cook tilapia, but it seemed pretty foolproof, so I just decided to give it a try. I put about a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and then put in the filet of tilapia, cut down the middle, and then poured about a half cup or so of salsa on top. Then I just let it cook a few minutes on each side until it was white and flaky. Once I served it onto our plates, I spooned some more of the fresh salsa on top. We both really liked it!

As far as nutritional information goes, our tilapia filet was about 0.4 lb which is about 6 ounces. According to this nutrition website, an ounce of raw tilapia is 27 calories, 0 g fat, and 6 g protein. So my serving size of about 3 ounces plus some butter and homemade salsa is:

Nutritional info (3 ounces fish cooked in salsa and butter) [estimated]
150 calories
7 g total fat
15 mg cholesterol
5 g carbs
16 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment