Thursday, September 29, 2011

Davis strawberry cake

My little sister is turning 22 today! How did we get so old? I mean, I recognize that we are not old, but we both are officially adults, and it is strange. For her birthday, she requested that I make this cake that her best friend's mom made them in high school. So the mom sent it to her and she passed it along to me. It isn't the kind of thing I would normally make since it uses cake mix as an ingredient and I prefer to make everything from scratch, but it is for the birthday girl. I looked up a whipped cream cheese frosting recipe from allrecipes. She also requested that it not be done as cupcakes, which we all know is how I like to do things, so again, birthday girl got her way. It was a pretty tasty cake, I will say. I'm still not totally sold on using mixes vs. homemade (it wasn't really that many less steps not to add my own baking powder, salt, flour, etc), but it did taste good. I didn't even get a bite of one of the strawberry chunks, so I'm curious how that played out.











Happy Birthday boo! I love you! I'm so glad we live in the same city again and can hang out (even if it is a crazy, last-minute trip to go schlep your babysitting kids around together)


Strawberry Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 ounces frozen strawberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
Directions

Thaw and drain the frozen strawberries.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease on 9x13 inch cake pan.
Combine the white cake mix, strawberry gelatin, oil, eggs, flour, thawed strawberries, and buttermilk and mix until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Frosting

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened [I used the 1/3 less fat version]
1 cup white sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar salt and vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.

*To ice the cake, I put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes to help firm it up. I have heard and experienced that a colder cake takes icing better, so I try to budget that into my schedule.
**I also had a good amount of icing left over that I didn't use, but had I baked the cake in two layers as I had planned on doing, the remaining would have been needed to ice between the layers.

Nutritional information (for 1/14 of cake only)
269 calories
13g total fat
34g carbs
4g protein

Nutritional information (for 1/14 of frosting only)
207 calories
15g total fat
17g carbs
1g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment