Wednesday, September 7, 2011

spices

I'm not sure whether or not I mentioned this before when I talked about how I stocked my new kitchen, but I thought I would go ahead and write a quick post about my spices. My mom's friend told my mom who told me about getting spices in bulk from stores like HEB. Luckily for me, HEB is the grocery store a few blocks from my house. So I went the bulk section when I first moved in and just beyond the granola and dried fruits and nuts and all that were spices. They had about 30 jars of various spices that you could scoop into little baggies. The first time I just got a few basics and the next couple times I went back to the grocery store (I try to go once a week and get what I want to cook that week), I kept adding spices as I thought of them or saw them in a recipe I wanted to try.

Here's the greatest part about it: I paid about $4 total for all the spice baggies, if that. My guess is probably a lot less since most of them came up, after being weighed, as like 5 cents or 10 cents or something. A few of the more expensive ones were about 70 cents. But really, it was amazing considering the a few aisles over the spices sell for like $4 each in the glass containers. And how often do we completely use one of those? This way, I can just get it as I need it and still pay less. My mom even had the idea (I don't know if she actually did it yet) of cleaning out some of her spice containers, getting spices in baggies, and storing the spices in the old labeled jars. For now, for me, I just have labeled baggies in a bag in my pantry, but hopefully I will figure out a nicer way of doing it. Maybe I could get some of those like 7-day medicine containers (you know, for people who take a drug cocktail everyday, it has little boxes for each day) and label those and it would be a small, scoopable container. Noted.



No comments:

Post a Comment