Wednesday, January 11, 2012

christmas party: baked brie + mulled wine

My mom had a little Christmas shindig while I was home, and it was super fun. I helped out with the grocery shopping (mainly to help her from buying everything; I was mostly unsuccessful) and making the baked brie and mulled wine. Both were really simple and easy, but they made me feel like I was making a fancy contribution.

I looked up the baked brie recipe on a couple different sites and they all said pretty much the same thing. The mulled wine recipe was also really basic, and I followed one that my mom set out in a magazine for me.






Baked Brie


1 (8 ounce) wheel Brie cheese
3 tablespoons apricot preserves [whatever flavor you want]
1/2 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed [we used crescent rolls, as in Pillsbury]
1 egg white [oops, I used the whole egg I think]


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.

I didn't really follow this recipe very well, so I'm just going to write down what I actually did. First of all, take out the crescent rolls (or have your step-dad do it if you are a weenie with things that pop). Divide it into two square pieces. Press the seams together so that they don't separate when cooking (you can see that I was lazy in my seam-securing). Place the brie on the center of one of the squares on the cooking sheet. Spread the preserves on top. Place the second square on top of the brie and press the pieces together, tucking the top piece under the brie a bit. Use a knife to cut off the excess pastry. You can be creative and make a design on top or eat it raw, like I chose to.

Beat the egg white, or whole egg if you're me, and brush it on the pastry. Pop that baby in the oven! Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry in golden brown. Serve immediately. Eat all of it. What, just me?

Mulled Wine
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 lemon, sliced
zest of 1 orange
3 cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
pinch of nutmeg
1 bottle cabernet sauvignon

Bring water to a boil. Add all ingredients except wine. Stir until sugar dissolves.

Add wine and bring mixture to a simmer for 20 minutes. Do not boil. Because I was serving it hot, I picked out the cloves and then just served it from the saucepan. If you are giving it away (as suggested by the magazine), strain it and let it cool before pouring into gift bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment