Thursday, January 19, 2012

oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

I know that I just posted a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, so this is fairly repetitive. I have been trying to use my new Joy of Cooking cookbook whenever possible, though, and my sister specifically requested oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. How can I say no to a simple request like that?

Blonde moment: forgot the oats. Seriously. I made it, noticed the consistency was a bit drippy while putting them on the cookie sheet, and put them in the oven. I turned around, tidied up a bit, and then noticed the very large and obvious cylinder of oats. Oh, ohhh, yeah. Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Well the first 6 weren't (and unsurprisingly were quite thin) and then the rest were. I hastily gave my sister the first 6 still hot (she was off to pick up kids to babysit), so I didn't get to try how they turned out (too crispy? too thin? off flavor?). The dough sure as heck was delicious and I liked the cookies too. The cookbook says not to put in the cinnamon and nutmeg if not making oatmeal raisin, but I like those flavors so I kept them to make the chocolate chip version more interesting.
Still don't notice something is missing...
 Growing suspicious about cookie dough texture...
 After realizing that they were missing the OATS!
 That's more what we had bargained for...

I made a half recipe, which gave me about 24 cookies. Below is the original recipe from Joy of Cooking 75th edition

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.

Stir in dry mixture. Stir in raisins and oats. Shape into balls and place on cookie sheet (greased or parchment lined, I prefer parchment). Flatten into rounds. Bake until lightly browned, 12-14 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment