Tuesday, December 13, 2011

butternut squash risotto

I have had the recent incredibly good fortune to start dating someone that I not only really like, but who is a very good cook. The night I made the honey apple challah bread, he came over and made some delicious homemade granola bars. Last week, we went to a farmer's market and picked up some squash and decided to make a butternut squash risotto topped with chicken. It was crazy good, and I mean it. I was even lucky enough to get the leftovers. We just used an allrecipes recipe, and by we, I mean I read it and occasionally helped get stuff together while he cooked. It really was pretty straight foward, though, and I really want to make some risotto again because it was very yummy.

I only took a picture at the end because, you know, I'm trying not to come across as the total nut that I am. That said, he still thinks I'm ridiculous for taking pictures of all of my food. The good news is that it isn't so ridiculous that I can't still sneak in one or two pictures without feeling too silly.


2 cups cubed butternut squash
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, minced
1 cup Arborio rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
5 cups hot chicken stock [we probably only used 3 or so cups]
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and ground black pepper to taste

As per some of the allrecipes comments, we decided to roast the squash in the oven for a while first. Set the oven to 400 degrees, place the squash on foil on a cookie sheet, and cut them in half. I believe he rubbed them with some olive oil and cinnamon before putting them in the oven. It took about 30 to 40 minutes to soften them up. We let them cool (and helped the process by sticking them in the freezer for a bit) and then scraped out the insides into a bowl and mashed it up further.


Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes until the onion begins to soften, then stir in the rice. Continue cooking and stirring until the rice is glossy from the butter, and the onion begins to brown on the edges, about 5 minutes more.

Pour in the white wine; cook, stirring constantly, until it has evaporated. Stir in the mashed squash and 1/3 of the hot chicken stock; reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir until the chicken stock has been absorbed by the rice, 5 to 7 minutes. Add half of the remaining chicken stock, and continue stirring until it has been absorbed. Finally, pour in the remaining stock, and continue stirring until the risotto is creamy. Finish by stirring in the Parmesan cheese, and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.

Nutritional Information (for 1/4 of risotto recipe)
355 total calories
13g total fat
46g total carbs
9g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment