Friday, December 2, 2011

(christmas) sugar cookies

I wanted to make some festive sugar cookies for Christmas and use some fun cookie cutters. Even though I definitely do not have a career in cookie icing decorating, I had a lot of fun. And I mean, I was a giggle basket the whole time. I don't know why it was so hilarious to decorate cookies, but it was. You can ask my sister or my dad, I was out of control. Nothing like watching yourself make bad art! I used recipes from allrecipes that were pretty basic for both the cookies and icing. I wanted an icing that would dry into the hard decorative icing.




Sugar cookies:

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.


Nutritional information (for 1/30 of the recipe):
130 total calories
6g total fat
18g total carbs
1g protein

Icing:
[I made 3x this recipe to decorate all the cookies we made]

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
assorted food coloring


In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.

Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.

Nutritional information (for 1/10 of the original recipe batch):
55 total calories
0g total fat
13g total carbs
0g protein


No comments:

Post a Comment