Tuesday, December 13, 2011

coconut cupcakes

I saw this coconut cake recipe in my Ina Garten book, barefoot contessa at home, and I wanted to try it out. Of course, I made it into cupcakes, what else? I also used unsweetened instead of sweetened coconut because that was all I could find. It seemed to work fine, but I guess I don't have much to compare it to. I'm sure sweetened would be better, though.

I made 1/2 the cake recipe for my 12 cupcakes and 1/2 the icing recipe, but it should have been 1/3 the icing recipe because I still had a lot leftover. But who can't find uses for cream cheese frosting? Not I.








cake/cupcakes [original recipe makes 2 layer cakes, 1/2 recipe makes 12 cupcakes]
3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups sugar
6 extra large eggs, at room temperature
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 tsp almond extract [I didn't have this so I just used vanilla]
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup milk
4 oz sweetened shredded coconut

frosting [original recipe is for a 2 layer cake, 1/3 recipe decorates 12 cupcakes]
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract [again, I just used vanilla]
1 pound confectioner's sugar [I used 2 cups]
6 oz sweetened shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For cakes, grease pans and line with parchment paper. For cupcakes, put in cupcake liners.

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes until light yellow and fluffy.

Add eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl during mixing. The mixture may look curdled; don't be concerned.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk in increments to batter. Mix until just combined. Fold in coconut.

Pour batter evenly into pans and smooth top with a knife. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes [less for cupcakes] until tester comes out clean. Cook on baking rack for 30 minutes and then turn it over to finish cooling.

For frosting, combine cream cheese, butter, and extracts on low speed in a mixer. Add the confectioner's sugar and mix until just smooth (don't whip).

Nutritional Information for cake [for 1/24 of original recipe or 1 cupcake]
258 calories
14g total fat
30g total carbs
4g protein

Nutritional Information for frosting [for 1/36 of original recipe or 1 cupcake icing]
122 calories
8g total fat
13g total carbs
1g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment