Saturday, December 17, 2011

mini meringue cookies

I've been wanting to make meringue cookies for a while, ever since I found out that they were cream of tartar and egg whites. Why that so intrigued me to want to try it, I have no idea. But cream of tartar was one of the first things I bought for my new apartment, yet I just got around to making them because I realized I had a surplus of eggs.

I was surprised by how simple the recipe was. For the most part, it was pretty simple to execute as well. I had heard somewhere that eggs had a certain window of time that you can beat and whip them and then it was sort of impossible, so I got a little anxious about that. But not so anxious that I googled it and checked (what a dummy). Anyway, I seriously spent about 10 minutes trying to get stiff peaks. At first, I was using the whisk attachment on my cuisinart speed stick, but after at least 5+ minutes, my forearms and fingers got tired of pushing the button and holding it. That sounds incredibly wimpy, but you'll see what I mean. At that point, I switched over to the stand mixer and set it on the highest setting for another five minutes or so. Finally, I started seeing some mildly-stiff peaks (if you are generous), and I decided that I would use them, just in case it was going to go downhill from there. My know-it-all helpful and supportive boyfriend later pointed out that perhaps I just needed to do it for 15 minutes until truly stiff peaks formed, so I will try some other type of meringue dish (probably a pavlova from my Ina Garten book) and not give up until I get some peaks and then I'll let you know what the timeframe was. Also, why the heck didn't the recipe tell me? I think anytime it isn't going to be a pretty much instant result, a recipe should give you a heads up - hey, newb, this will take 5 minutes so don't start sweating bullets and hating yourself when it doesn't happen in 30 seconds. Don't worry, I got your back.

Early stages:
 Not exactly "stiff" peaks, but peaks enough for 10+ min tired Kat

 Obviously not a master piper, but I think the consistency of the meringues had an impact on their shape. 
But yeah, I need to work on my artistic skills... or total lack thereof




3 large egg whites (3 ounces or 90 grams)

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

3/4 cup (150 grams) superfine or caster sugar (if you don't have superfine sugar simply take granulated white sugar and process it for about 30-60 seconds in a food processor)

1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) and place the rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can form the cookies with a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) plain tip, or I often just use two spoons to make the cookies.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, a little at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the vanilla extract. [I totally forgot to add the vanilla. Mine still tasted fine to me, but probably the vanilla adds something extra.]

Note: The meringue is done when it holds stiff peaks and when you rub a little between your thumb and index finger it does not feel gritty. If it feels gritty the sugar has not fully dissolved so keep beating until it feels smooth between your fingers. [Note: they fail to mention that this will take forever. Don't give up! I'll be better informed when I make my pavlova, I promise.]

Before placing the cookies on the cookie sheet, place a little of the meringue on the underside of each corner of the parchment paper. This will prevent the paper from sliding.  Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) tip [I have no idea what tips I have, but probably not that big and also I used one that I refer to as the starry one]. Pipe rounds of meringue in rows on the prepared baking sheet. Alternatively, spoon mounds of meringue, using two spoons, onto the prepared sheets. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with a few shaved almonds, if desired. [Note: they don't spread at all, so feel free to go crazy filling up your baking sheet without worrying that you'll end up with a gigantic mass like you would with normal cookies.]

Bake the meringues for approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, rotating the baking sheet from front to back (about half way through) to ensure even baking. The meringues are done when they are pale in color and fairly crisp. (The meringues will release easily from the parchment paper.) Turn off the oven, open the door a crack, and leave the meringues in the oven to finish drying several hours or overnight. The meringues can be covered and stored at room temperature for several days.

Makes about 10 - 2 1/2 inch (6 cm) meringues
[I made about 40 of various sizes, all smaller than 2 inches.]

Nutritional Information (for 1/30 of the recipe)
21 total calories
0g total fat
5g total carbs
0g protein

1 comment: