Friday, December 16, 2011

iced oatmeal cookies

Delicious. Delectable. Delightful.

So yes, I'm a fan of these. I ate probably the equivalent of 3 or so cookies before they even made it out of the bowl (oops), and I've had two this morning already because they are just so darn good. The dough was good, the cookies were good, and the iced cookies were good. It's an all around tasty recipe. And simple! The biggest time commitment was baking all 30 of them over the course of about 4 batches. But definitely, absolutely make these. They are soft and spicy and so satisfying.

I played with my icing drizzling techniques. Instead of drizzling over the cookies on the parchment paper, I held each cookie over my icing bowl and used a spoon to drizzle it over that, making it only slightly less messy but giving me more control over the designs. Like a four year old, I played with it, and while I can admit that the criss-cross drizzle looks the best, I still had fun making all the other designs and blobs.








Yield: 30 3-inch cookies (with a 2 tablespoon or #40 scoop) [I just used my tbsp spoon and made big scoops]

Butter for baking sheets [I used the Pam baking spray]
2 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon (8 1/4 ounces or 231 grams) old fashioned oats
1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces or 65 grams) whole wheat flour
1 cup (4 3/8 ounces or 125 grams) all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoons (20 grams) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
2 teaspoons kosher salt [I used 1 tsp regular morton salt]
1 cup (8 3/8 ounces or 238 grams) dark brown sugar [I used regular]
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces or 100 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon (2 grams) cinnamon
1 teaspoon (2 grams) freshly grated nutmeg
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs

Icing: [I made 1/2 this recipe to ice all my cookies]
2 1/4 (9 1/2 ounces or 270 grams) cups powdered sugar
5 to 6 (75 to 90 ml) tablespoons whole milk [I used fat free]
1 tablespoon (6 grams) cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt**

Preheat oven to 350°F with racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Rub two baking sheets with butter.

In a food processor, grind 1/2 cup of oats to a fine powder, then add remaining oats and grind them all together until it resembles coarse meal, with only a few large flakes remaining. [I did this using my cuisinart smart stick grinder/chopper attachment and it worked well. I didn't mind having some bigger pieces mixed in.]

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring back any bits of grains or other ingredients that remain in the sifter.

In a small bowl, whisk butter and eggs until combined.

Using a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.

Scoop balls of dough about 2 to 3 tablespoons in size (I used a #40 cookie scoop, which scooped 2 tablespoon-sized balls) onto cookie sheets about 3 inches apart. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through. When tops are evenly brown, take them out and transfer them to a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining cookie dough. Let cookies cool completely before icing.

In a bowl, whisk icing ingredients together until smooth. It should have a honey-like consistency. Drizzle the frosting over the cookies. Let the frosting set for 30 minutes (or more; it took longer at my place but by the next day, was fully firmed up) before eating. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.

Nutritional information (for 1/30 of the recipe, including 1/2 recipe icing)
165 total calories
7g total fat
25g total carbs
2g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment